[ntp:questions] VM host not snyching time

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Mar 24 12:49:52 UTC 2010

Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> Do VMs still have problems responding to timer ticks when there are
> enough cores to go around?

If anything, the problems tend to get worse when you have many cores.

I am trying to get everything working in a VM environment right now,
and I have many different versions of Windows and Linux running on
a set of VMware ESX 4 servers.

Every version of Linux needs different tweaking to get it working
reasonably.  I am not asking very high accuracy, I just want the time
to be within a few hundred milliseconds and not jumping around or
getting completely unsynced.  This requires a lot of attention, much
more than in the usual NTP environment (which merely requires patience).