[ntp:questions] Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Mar 24 19:34:15 UTC 2010

In article <0f5de21d-2a20-40fa-ab68-a03cba5ae90b at u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 Evandro Menezes <evandro at mailinator.com> writes:
>On Mar 23, 11:38=A0am, Chuck Swiger <cswi... at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I really had to solve the latter problem, I would likely connect the m=
>achines to a valid NTP timesource long enough to calibrate each machines' i=
>ntrinsic drift from realtime, and then run time in standalone mode against =
>their local clock.
>
>Useless.  Clocks may drift wildly due to temperature changes, be it
>ambient or inside the box.

The temperature drifts that I've seen are much smaller than the
basic calibration.

On the other hand recent Linux kernels have screwed up the basic
calibration on startup so rebooting a machine is much worse than
a temperature change.  (If they have fixed it recently, I haven't
seen any announcement.  You can fix it by hacking a constant into
your kernel.)