[ntp:questions] Solving the right problem

Thu Mar 25 19:43:54 UTC 2010

unruh wrote:
>> You said:  "In most cases, it is easier to solve the
>>  problem of sync'ing all computers to a correct timesource
>>  (and thus all be mutually in sync)...".
>> I think I agree with that principal, though I don't yet
>>  feel I know enough to 'do it'.  Would like to have your
>>  (and others') help in learning the nuts-and-bolts of
>>  understanding that, and how to accomplish it.
>
> It means that you have one ( or two ) computers sync to
>  an external source and then use that machine as the
>  source for the others.

It doesn't have to be an "external source", if cheap is
 not a goal, and isolation from the rest of the world is.

 They can get their own in-house frequency standard(s),
  to PPS discipline their NTP server(s).

I'm certain the sales people at Symmetricom could provide
 them with NTP servers that don't make use of any outside
 world references.
 <symmetricom.com/products/ntp-servers/modular-ntp-solutions/>

 symmetricom.com sells Cesium, Rubidium and Hydrogen Maser Standards

 quartzlock.com sells Rubidium Standards
    (and used to sell Hydrogen Maser Standards?)

 novatech-instr.com sells Rubidium Standards

 Selecting a Primary Frequency Standard for a Calibration Laboratory
  (Cal Lab Int. Jour. of Metrology, April 2008, pp. 33-39)
   <tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2289.pdf>

  will be added to the BlackLists.