[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun May 9 07:38:11 UTC 2010

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:nZSdnW01DOAWX3jWnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
> Of course they will not go into the distribution version.  At least it
> won't go into Dave Mills' distribution.
>
> IF you can make it work across the full spectrum of NTPD usage it will
> be distributed somehow and people will use it if they perceive that it
> does, and does well, things that the official *Mills" distribution
> cannot!
>
> If Dave Mills says "It can't work!" I think the burden of proof that it
> can and does work is on you.

I find it somewhat disappointing that this attitude exists.  At least for
end nodes, why can't there be a faster convergence option available?  The
scenario for NTP usage today is very significantly different from twenty
years ago.

I'm also disappointed that people spend time arguing about these issues,
when the bugs I have reported (such as significant performance differences
between 4.2.4, 4.2.5 and 4.2.6) go unresolved.

Cheers,
David