[ntp:questions] Is this normal?

Russell, David David.Russell at dowjones.com
Wed May 12 00:07:10 UTC 2010

Very astute!

>Wow. that is a looooong time. If it is really on the same local network,
>it should be much shorter than that. What is causing the delays-- bad
>router/switch, or is the local network a modem controlled network?

Turns out the actual time is about 1.7ms. For some reason the device I am looking at is reporting an extra couple of milliseconds.  That might be an issue :)

Our "Local" network includes Gig connections between data centers about 20 miles apart.  The round trip times for devices in the same building are on the order of 200us including time spent in the stratum 1 server.  Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to imply that it was the local subnet.

>What poll interval are you using on the ntp?

Maxpoll of 5 (32 sec)

>Did you write the implimentation of ntp that you are asking whether it
works correctly?

It came with the box and I don't have access to the code.  I can just use it and query its statistics.

>And what is this "device"?

A router; doing nothing except running NTP for the purposes of the testing.

David