[ntp:questions] synchronize time against 2003 server.

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Nov 15 10:52:05 UTC 2010

David Woolley wrote:
> Eduardo wrote:
>> Hy, I need to configure ntp on centos platform and my idea is synchronize
>> against another platform with active directory 2003, that is possible?
>
> Yes  Run the reference ntpd V4 on the Windows box.
>
> You can synch to w32time on Windows 2003, but the time quality will be
> poor, and it will probably claim a false stratum.  As far as I know, the
> default configuration of w32time/the only configuration for older
> versions, is only broken when acting as a client.
>
> You may need to force the protocol version to be version 3.

Take care, if you replace the w32time service on the PDC by the NTP service
then domain members may not detect the PDC as authoritative time server
anymore, and thus time synchronization of other servers and workstations
may fail unless you also install ntpd on all of these nodes.

IMO a better solution would be to set up a CentOS machine as NTP server,
point the w32time service on the PDC to that NTP server, and also let other
*ix machines synchronize to that NTP server.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren