[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical onWinXP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Oct 22 10:39:47 UTC 2010

"Dave Hart" <davehart at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:AANLkTik1Pda81Pqmx2JNtgV9AYS6h7HahT3+ZELf+Yn=@mail.gmail.com...
[]
> No new settings required.  You might have a hard time picking out the
> difference using 5-minute samples of mrtg and the hardcoded Y axis.
> Looking at loopstats graphs, I would expect you to see little
> overshoot or ringing from the initial offset correction.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Thanks, Dave.  I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that
4.2.7p58 still takes a number of hours to reach the accuracy limits where
thermal effects dominate.  It's that which matters to me, rather than
something in the first few minutes.  I agree the graphs would not show
such short time-scale initial disturbances.

On the XP versus Vista/Win-7 issue, one thing I notice is that the
loopstats files for the Win-7 system are about four times the size of
those for the XP system - 144KB rather than 36KB for a complete day.  603
lines for XP, 2520 lines for Win-7.  Yet both have the same (rather short)
max poll interval of 32 seconds.  Does this suggest that NTP is having to
work harder on Win-7?  In case anyone is interested, the loopstats files
for the previous three days are here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/xp-win7-loopstats.zip   (159KB)

Cheers,
David