[ntp:questions] ntp architecture

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Mon Oct 25 14:13:48 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-25, konsu <konrad.azzopardi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear ntp group,
>
> I am quite new to ntp and am designing an ntp architecture in a 3
> datacentre environment but there are so many possibilities that I
> would like to get an opinion.
>
> We have three datacentres {all within the same country} and in one of
> the datacentres there is a GPS antenna to which I intend to connect an
> appliance that provides ntp service.

That appliance would presumably be a computer, not running windows but
linux or bsd.

That GPS should have a PPS, since the nmea sentences are notoriously bad
for timekeeping ( unless you consider 10s of milliseconds OK).

> A server in each of the three datacentres, would act as stratum 2
> clocks peering each other and synchronizing to my ntp GPS appliance
> {which can be called stratum 1, I guess}.

You should have a backup or three-- possibly outside your organization,
for use when the gardener snips your GPS lead in wire, or some kids
steal the antenna.

> Are there any guidelines about best practices and if an architecture
> like this would look good ? Then the intention is that all Linux/UNIX
> servers would sync time to the stratum 2 clocks {3 in total}. If
> possible can someone give me examples of config files for each of the
> 3 stratum 2 servers ?

Why not just have all reference the GPS source? How many clients are
there?