[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Oct 29 17:46:23 UTC 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
On 10/29/2010 2:46 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>>> I had much better luck with the ntp documentation that comes with
>>> FreeBSD:
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ntp.conf&sektion=5
>> []
>>> --
>>> Florin Andrei
>>> http://florin.myip.org/
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer, Florin. I'll bookmark that! It looks very
>> comprehensive, and yet not a single example of a working minimum
>> ntp.conf file is given.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> Its not rocket science!
>
> server time.mumble.com
> server teaparty.org
> server ....
> server ....
>

> Select four, five, or seven public NTP servers (or private servers to which you have access) and list them in your ntp.conf file in the format illustrated above.  Ideally, the servers should be near to you in "net space"; e.g. they should have short round trip times.

Agreed.  The simplest working config has a single server line, ie:

  server pool.ntp.org

...but setting up at least four will give better redundancy and falseticker detection, ie:

  server 0.pool.ntp.org
  server 1.pool.ntp.org
  server 2.pool.ntp.org
  server 3.pool.ntp.org

...or whatever vendor zone might be appropriate.

Regards,
--
-Chuck