[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p3 multicast server not visible in orphan peer to peer mode?

Wu, Bailey Bailey.Wu at thalesgroup.com.au
Mon Apr 4 01:30:47 UTC 2011

I have an isolated ntp network with 2 servers running ntp 4.2.6p3. Clients run various other version of ntp. My problem is to do with the servers and 2 HPUX multicast client.

The 2 servers are setup in orphan mode and are peer'd with each other. While running server 1 will eventually synchronise with server 2, which I guess must have the better clock. In addition the servers are BOTH configured as multicast servers to output via two network interfaces. The HPUX clients are connected to both the servers (all interfaces), so I would think the HPUX clients would see 4 sources of multicast, but they do not. If server 1 synchronises with server 2 then the HPUX clients will only see 2 server 1 sources and vice versa if server 2 is sync'd with server 1. This means when one of the servers goes down the HPUX clients are not able to select another source to synchronise with.

My question is whether ntp in orphan peer to peer mode will automatically disable one of the servers multicast if it is the primary server? The HPUX clients have ntp 3.5f.

-BW

DISCLAIMER:---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files and previous e-mail messages
attached to it are private and confidential. They may contain proprietary or copyright
material or information that is subject to legal professional privilege. They are for
the use of the intended recipient only.  Any unauthorised viewing, use, disclosure,
copying, alteration, storage or distribution of, or reliance on, this message is
strictly prohibited. No part may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the
written permission of the owner. If you have received this transmission in error, or
are not an authorised recipient, please immediately notify the sender by return email,
copies. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient should not be deemed a
waiver of any privilege or protection. Thales Australia does not warrant or represent
that this e-mail or any documents, files and previous e-mail messages attached are
error or virus free.