[ntp:questions] IPv6 support for NTP - need ntp.org code archive for it

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Apr 25 21:18:12 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-25, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

> The original OpenNTPD was not a fork

It was a re-implementation.

> and was not an NTP (it was an SNTP). They produced it because of
> reservations about the licence for the reference version.

http://www.openntpd.org/goals.html

Current NTP daemons are complex and difficult to configure and/or have
questionable licenses. Because of this, only a limited number of systems
run NTP, resulting in many machines that are off by months and even
years. Our goal is to make NTP ubiquitous by providing a free simple
implementation that is secure and easy to configure.

    * Be as secure as possible. Code carefully, do strict validity
      checks especially in the network input path, and use bounded
      buffer operations. Use privilege separation to mitigate the
      effects of possible security bugs.
    * Provide a lean implementation, sufficient for a majority. Don't
      try to support each and every obscure usage case, but cover the
      typical ones.
    * Try to "Just Work" in the background.
    * Work with just a minimum of configuration.
    * Reach a reasonable accuracy. We are not after the last
      microseconds.

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNTPD

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#OpenNTPD