[ntp:questions] NTP server with no network, no GPS signal

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Apr 29 14:24:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, April 29, 2011 6:01 am, Rob wrote:
> Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

>> Get a wifi access point that's supported by OpenWRT and has a USB port.
>> Install OpenWRT.  Install gpsd and ntpd.  Get a gps USB puck.  Set up
>> access point in room with good gps reception.  Use the AP as the ntpd
>> server.  It works quite well and is quite reliable and cheap.
>
> The "we want maximum security but it must not cost a dime" people he
> is working for will be delighted by the idea to add a WiFi access :-)

:-)

By default OpenWRT installs with wifi disabled (the radio is actually
turned off).  I use wifi access points as little embedded boxes whenever I
need a cheap, reliable networked piece of hardware.  I typically remove
the antennas as well before I ship them.  Some of the routers have the
radio on a mini-PCI card, so you could physically remove the radio if you
really want to go that far.  The wifi access points are actually very
capable general purpose computers that are far cheaper than anything else
out there.

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.