[ntp:questions] PPS indication in ntpq

Miguel Gonçalves mail at miguelgoncalves.com
Tue Aug 2 22:20:17 UTC 2011

Harlan,

Thank you so much for your help!

I figured I was using different versions of NTP:

- 4.2.4p5 (FreeBSD 7.4) on the one that was not seeing the PPS: I was
only using the NMEA driver and I should have also added the PPS
driver.

- 4.2.6p2 (FreeBSD 7.4 but compiled through ports) on the one that was
seeing the PPS: I had to use 4.2.6p2 so I could select 9600 bps.

Through a series of mistakes I found out (with your help) that ntpq
should report 'o' instead of '*'. So the correct one was the 4.2.6p2
one! :-)

The final configuration is this (I am posting so everyone can see it
in the future):

--- Garmin 18 LVC (NTP 4.2.4p5) ---
# PPS
server 127.127.22.1 minpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.1 flag3 1

# NMEA
server 127.127.20.1 mode 2 prefer minpoll 4 iburst
fudge 127.127.20.1 flag2 0 flag3 1
--- END ---

--- Sure GPS Board (amazing board with NTP 4.2.6p2) ---
# PPS & NMEA
server 127.127.20.1 mode 18 prefer minpoll 4
fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1 flag2 0 flag3 1 time2 0.400

By the way, I could only the Sure board to work by adding the time2
fudge. It seems OK to me... What do you think?

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Miguel