[ntp:questions] Ginormous offset and slow convergance

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 00:00:23 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 4:28 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> I think the effect of getting rid of the drift file depends on the
>> value stored in the file!  If the value is reasonably close to
>> correct, I think it's helpful.  If you are restarting because you have
>> been without power for the last three hours, the drift file is almost
>> certainly useless!
>
> Possibly, and in perhaps many cases probably, but almost certainly?

I believe so.  Loss of power generally means loss of temperature control
as well.  Even if if your computers are powered, what about the air
conditioning?  In winter there are easy and inexpensive ways to cool
things; e.g. open the windows.

In the summer, you either have backup power for computer AND Air
Conditioning or you risk damaging your equipment.