[ntp:questions] New ntp Server

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:32:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Mark C. Stephens <marks at non-stop.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All, I am about to build a new NTP server for testing refclocks.
>
> I believe that BSD is recommended over Linux, which is recommended over Windows?
>
> Which is the *best* OS for an NTP server?

Windows is so bad for this job, I'd almost say it's broken.

Between BSD and Linux, it used to be that BSD was the winner for
precision timekeeping but new recent Linux comes with PPS in the
kernaland a nanosecond clock and is equal or BSD.    But I suspect
many will say that BSD is still the more conservative option, it
changes slower and typically comes with less "stuff".    Id go with
BSD unless you intend to do anything else with the computer

BTW dumpster servers are NOT economical unless you have free electric
power.   They will burn up well more then $200 or power a year.   That
is $1,000 over a reasonable life.     Look around and buy main board
that uses the single core Atom CPU.  Look for one that does NOT have a
fan on the heat sink.  No fan is a good clue that the CPU uses very
little power  Intal makes one that was a REAL serial port.  That is
the #1 thing you must have.   You can find a main bard with CPU
soldered to it for about $80.  It will pay for itself in very short
time.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California