[ntp:questions] New ntp Server

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 11:41:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 03:55:50AM +0000, Mark C. Stephens wrote:
> Oh no I am quite happy with my hp3325A ;)
>

> Well Okay, after a slight detour trying to get ilo100 to work, I loaded centos 6.0 x64 on the DL165 G2 (computer) and found it has 3.3V PCI slots. So none of my Serial I/O cards fit, being 5V. I have seen people take a dremel to them to cut a 3.3V notch, but I am not a 100% sure this works.
>
> Centos 6.0 is really impressive I have to say. Also the PPS kernel module is already built and installed, just need to load it.

The kernel includes general PPS support, but there is no support for
PPS on serial devices (pps_ldisc module). You'll probably need to use
a newer version of kernel or backport the module to the old version.
You'll also need to recompile the ntp package with the timepps.h
header.

It might be easier to try a newer distro. For instance, Fedora 14 and
later have kernel, ntp and chrony packages compiled with PPS support
and it should work out of the box, even with SELinux enabled :).

--
Miroslav Lichvar