[ntp:questions] ntpdate removal is coming

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Dec 17 20:20:26 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-17, Chad.Farmer at Bull.com <Chad.Farmer at Bull.com> wrote:

> The scenario I'm worried about somewhat different from what has been
> described in this thread.  I though I would add it to the chain as a use
> case developers should be aware of.
>
> I frequently see incorrect time after a system has been powered off or
> even just booted.  The amount of time varies and typically less than a
> second, but sometimes much more.

What does this have to do with the issue of replacing ntpdate with sntp?

> Following is an example of why I want to just quickly set the time on a
> boot.  Booting up around 15:30, ntpd starts.  Twenty minutes later, ntpd
> is ready to use its -g option and resets time.  This fixes the error that
> occurred while the system was down.  Before and after the boot, ntpd
> manages time with small drift values and no time resets.
>
> But I can not afford to have time reset by -4 seconds after my
> applications have been running for 20 minutes.  I also can not wait for 20
> minutes to start running applications.

This should not be happening. But we can't tell you anything without
seeing how you have ntpd configured.

> Nov 20 15:30:06 ntpd[4969]: ntpd 4.2.2p1 at 1.1570-o Tue Feb 10 22:33:50 UTC
> 2009 (1)

Please try using the current stable release of NTP; your version is very
old and is no longer maintained.

NTP-4.2.2p1 (NTP-4 v2.2.1) was released 08-Jul-2006.

The current stable version, NTP-4.2.6p4 (NTP-4 v2.6.4) was released
23-Sep-2011.

There have been substantial revisions to the NTP code
base since your version. Please see the ChangeLog,
http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ChangeLog-stable, for more information.

> Nov 20 15:34:00 ntpd[4971]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum 10

You should not be using the Undisciplined Local Clock (127.127.1.x, aka
"LOCAL") unless this ntpd must be able to serve time to others when no
real time sources are available.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>