[ntp:questions] Accuracy of NTP - Advice Needed

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Fri Dec 23 10:07:42 UTC 2011

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 9:17 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>> The securities traders (especially HFT) want it. I suspect the OP is in
>> that group. That level of timekeeping has been discussed here before.
>
> I think that the radio astronomers are some of the most demanding.

They need far better than just PPS accuracy, they normally use
common-view GPS in the same mode as is used for comparing UTC master
clocks, i.e. with eventual accuracy in the low ns range.

This is sufficient to phase-lock multiple radio observatories
synthesizing a _very_ long baseline receiver.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>