[ntp:questions] Off topic: using delay in routing protocols

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Dec 29 16:27:38 UTC 2011

Juliusz ,

The fuzzballs indeed used a delay metric. They made little nests at the
earth stations in the SATnet program, as well as the routers used in the
early NSFnet. In its original form, the ARPAnet also used a a node state
metric like the fuzzballs, but switched to a link based metric like
OpenSPF. So far as I know the fuzzballs used split horizon and hold-down
before anybody else did. This was exemplified by the mantra

"good news travels fast, but bad news travels forever." See below for
additional references.

Mills, D.L. The Fuzzball. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 88 Symposium (Palo Alto CA,
August 1988), 115-122.

Mills, D.L., and H.-W. Braun. The NSFNET Backbone Network. Proc. ACM
SIGCOMM 87 Symposium (Stoweflake VT, August 1987), 191-196.

Dave