[ntp:questions] Off topic: using delay in routing protocols

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Dec 29 18:08:50 UTC 2011

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

> Mills, D.L. The Fuzzball. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 88 Symposium (Palo Alto CA,
> August 1988), 115-122.
>
> Mills, D.L., and H.-W. Braun. The NSFNET Backbone Network. Proc. ACM
> SIGCOMM 87 Symposium (Stoweflake VT, August 1987), 191-196.

For the benefit of anyone researching delay metrics, I've also found the
following two references helpful:

    D.L. Mills.  DCN Local-Network Protocols.  RFC 891.  1983.

which describes in detail the routing protocol used by the Fuzzballs
(including the metric), and:

    A. Khanna, J. Zinky.  The revised ARPANET routing metric.
    Proc. SIGCOMM'89.  1989.

which discusses the stability of delay metrics in routing in more detail
than you've ever dreamed of.

(In case anyone is wondering what I'm doing -- I'm currently working on
a distance-vector routing protocol called Babel (RFC 6126) which is
supposed to "just work" across a wide range of technologies: you plug
a Babel router, and after listening for a few seconds it immediately
starts routing, with no need for configuration.  The more I look at
previous work, the more I feel that DLM was just where I want to be some
30 years earlier.)

-- Juliusz