[ntp:questions] Any experience with Meinberg NTP software on Windows 7?

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Feb 24 17:47:24 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-24, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>>   http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99
>>
>> Except there is no indication that this thing puts out a PPS signal.
>
> Bill, do you need to add a couple of wires to get an RS-232 level signal,
> as I describe here:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#sure
>
> For just over US $30 (and delivered to the UK for a few dollars more) it's
> not bad, considering that the GPS 18x LVC comes to approaching US $100
> over here!

There are no specs in the writeup as to what the timing is on that pin
T9. Since it seems to be being used purely to drive an LED, its timing
requirements are maybe 1/10 sec. But for timing purposes we want sub
usec. Does the pulse out of T9 meet some sort of "The upgoing edge of
the pulse occurs within 500ns of the seconds rollover" or something?
On the GPS18x there specs say it is withing that. What is it on this
board? Has anyone tested it? (It would be great if it really were good
enough).
Note that the cmos inverter and the RS232 drive will both put in delays.
Anyone got any idea of how much?