[ntp:questions] Use ntpd as a daemon so that it continuously disciplines clock, no

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Jan 14 21:24:21 UTC 2011

"ric.castellani at alice.it" said:

> I want to use ntpd as a daemon on client to synchronize to my NTP
> server of company lan.
> Can I avoid ntpd service doesn't listen to port 123 on this client ?
> I'd like using only this service for synchronizing to ntp server, but
> no listen port !

ntpd has to bind to an interface on your LAN so that it can poll your
LAN time server.  Recent versions of NTP provide a way for you to
control which interfaces ntpd will use.

If you don't want your ntpd serving time to others (e.g.  on your LAN)
then you will need configure the access restrictions to meet your
requirements (see http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions or
search for 'restrict' at http://doc.ntp.org/your.ntp.version).

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke.ntp.org>