[ntp:questions] Polling interval in FreeBSD vs. Windows

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Jan 18 19:32:12 UTC 2011

unruh wrote:

>> are not accounting for network wander, which can reach 100s of ms, if
>> NTP isn't prioritised.
>
> ??? I have never seen 100s of ms. I have rarely seen 1ms.

A fudge option was added because of this effect.  As I detailed
elsewhere on the thread, originally the wander tended to be so large
that ntpd would reject the source, but as networks speeded up, the
result was 500 ms positive and negative steps.  It is probably under the
128 ms for most people these days.

I certainly observed it.