[ntp:questions] Answering only to the LAN

Andre Majorel aym-ptn at teaser.fr
Mon Jul 4 14:15:41 UTC 2011

A local NTP server is running on the firewall, sync'd to my
ISP's NTP server, ntp.myisp.net.

I'm trying to configure the NTP server on the firewall to speak
only to ntp.myisp.net and the hosts on the LAN.

All my attempts lead to an NTP server which will talk to either
ANYONE, including random hosts on the internet, or NO-ONE. Well,
it will speak to ntp.myisp.net but not the hosts on my LAN.

  server ntp.myisp.net
  restrict default ignore
  restrict -6 default ignore
  restrict <IP_of_ntp.myisp.net> nomodify notrap nopeer
  restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 kod nomodify notrap nopeer
  restrict 127.0.0.1
  restrict -6 ::1

What am I doing wrong ? Thanks in advance.