[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 6 15:02:54 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-06, Radu.Popa at technomatic.de <Radu.Popa at technomatic.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an issue with the Meinberg software:
>
> I have defined a simple configuration file
>
> Server time1
> Server time2
>
> I can see be running the ntpq -p command that the client is using the two
> servers: one as preferred (*) the other one on standby (+) and also the
> offset which is around 120 seconds. The problem is that Meinberg is not
> setting up the system clock by itself. However, if I restart the service,
> it does it at the start, but if I modify the clock afterwards to simulate
> an offset, it still does not sync system clock.
Exactly why would you be modifying the clock? NTP drives the clock to to
a small offset (millisaconds to microseconds) and keeps it there. That
is its purpose. It does so by reading a remote server occasionally (
from 1 min to 20 min) It will then throw away 7/8 of the times its gets,
(depending on the round trip delay of the measurement).
so you need to wait for about 2 hours to see what ntp will do with your
offset (3hr=8x20 min. 20 min is the time between polls at level 10)
But once the clock is disciplined that 3 hr wait is "fine", since the
clock is ticking along reasonably disciplined to keep good time during
that 3 hours. Ie, I have no idea how long you waited to see what happens
to the 120sec.

Speedyness is not one of ntpd's strong points.