[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

Fri Jul 8 03:16:00 UTC 2011

Chris Albertson wrote:
>> unruh wrote:
>>> He can just put the antenna in the inside of the window.
>
> Most server rooms are not in window offices.
>  He'd have to find a south facing window, convince the
>    occupant to allow some antanna to be placed there
>     and then run cable back to the GPS
>     or co-locate the GPS with the antenna
>      and run serial and PPS signals back
>     to a computer in a server room.
>   How well this might work would depend on office
>    politics and the physical layout of the building.
>
> There are other kinds of radio clocks.
>  Some work off the cell phone network and will work any
>   plece you can get a few bars on your phone.
>  Cell phone antenna don't ned to see the sky.

I (and many of my colleagues have found Cell phones often
 don't work well deep in rack rooms, especially near the racks.

>  But for most normal people who just need to run an NTP
>   server the Internet pool servers are good enough
>   and you can fall back on Orphan Mode for when the
>   Internet is down.

They could always get a rubidium / cesium, frequency / time
 reference (for a lot more money), if the office politics
 and the physical layout of the building, won't allow for
 them using GPS, DSF, MSF, ...

  will be added to the BlackLists.