[ntp:questions] confusing clock selection...

Florian Heigl florian.heigl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:38:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm doing some testing of the ntp config I made and don't really
understand what just happened.
Primarly I'm looking at two ntp servers and one clock out of a larger
setup.
NTP is quite critical so I've already done some head-scratching to
come to this setup.

Setup on "ntp01":
server meinberg1
server meinberg2 prefer
server meinberg3
server meinberg4
peer ntp02 iburst # this line reads ntp01 on the other server

# local fallback clock
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

Note about the local clock: Lik

Right now only Meinberg3 is online, and, to make things more
interesting, I unplugged it's GPS cable. It kept at stratum 1/2 for a
long duration and now went dpwn to stratum 3 local source.

I would have hoped both "ntp" servers would still use meinberg3,
instead they decided to pick their local clock.

     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
 meinberg1          .INIT.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000
0.000   0.000
 meinberg2          .INIT.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000
0.000   0.000
 meinberg3          LOCAL(0)         3 u   34   64    7    0.192
-1531.5   5.156
 meinberg4          .INIT.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000
0.000   0.000
 ntp02        LOCAL(0)        11 u   24   64   17    0.216  -1529.3
7.325
*LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l   30   64   17    0.000
0.000   0.001

I really do love working with NTP, just right now I don't understand
why it does what it's doing (even if it may just be what I configured
into it, right?