[ntp:questions] Single GPS/PPS time source gets marked as a falseticker

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:08:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM, unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-07-12, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The simplest explanation is that everything is working as expected but
>> your GPS receiver is just not very good.  What you might try is
>> turning off all the NMEA sentences you are not using.   I don't know
>> if the SHM driver degrades the accuracy or not but you might try
>> removing it. (See what others say about SHM)  I saw this same thing
>> but only worse when I tried using a hand held GPS for NTP.
>
> That may be simple to you, but highly unlikely.
> The PPS almost certainly does deliver highly accurate times.
> Unfortunately it is useless for determining which second the pulse if
> for. For that you need either the nmea

Yes, that is why I said to only turn off "the NMEA sentences you are
_not_ using."  The Garmin allows you to control the amount of output.
Have it send only what you need.

(Sorry I forget what email list I'm on. Wetter a uS is large or small
depends on the audience.)

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California