[ntp:questions] How do I prevent sudden system time jumps.

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Jul 13 21:49:37 UTC 2011

>The problem is that the adjustment takes to large steps, not that it
>takes to long time.

ntpd will slew the clock at 500 PPM.  You may be willing to wait a while
for a second or two, but it takes a looooong time if you have to adjust
by several minutes or an hour.  That may be OK for your setup, but you
should think about it.

If you are using the -x flag, be sure to check out the -g flag that will
let it do one long jump at startup time.