[ntp:questions] Single GPS/PPS time source gets marked as a falseticker

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:32:10 UTC 2011

> ??? Exactly which of the problems he mentioned had anything to do with
> "setting up ntp server in the ocean"?

inability to use a timing GPS receiver and having to use a nav type unit.

This entire problem would go away if he could use one of the more
common timing receivers and a fixed antenna.  I tried this same thing
using an even older Garmin unit.  Went nuts with the even worse NMEA
data.  Then spend $25 on a Motorola "Oncore" and it was plug and play
at the sub microsecond level.   But this is not an option as the 16X
seems to be a "given".    And none of the timing GPS would work well
because I assume a deep water buoy has a rather large watch circle
radius.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California