[ntp:questions] orphan mode

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Jun 1 21:25:18 UTC 2011

Frank Alsop wrote:

> to: "A host is enabled for orphan mode using the tos orphan stratum command,
> where stratum is some stratum less than 16 and greater than any anticipated
> stratum that might occur with configured Internet time servers".  I am assuming

This describes the permissible range.  The best value is as high as
possible such that nothing downstream would reach stratum 16.  That
minimises the risk that an unsychronised value could leak out of your
system.

I believe the wording is saying that it must be at least one greater
than the highest stratum that would be reached by any machine on which
it is set when there is some external time source.