[ntp:questions] Failure of NIST Time Servers

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:51:16 UTC 2011

On Jun 4, 3:42 am, Eugen COCA <ec... at eed.usv.ro> wrote:
> In my opinion, transmitting the time with an offset of about 680
> seconds with "... some of the systems transmitted the wrong time
> without this indication." (unhealthy indicator), is a bit
> unprofessional. Of course, it is the users' sole responsibility to
> configure his/her time servers in order to avoid these things.
>
> I'm thinking for you to post a messages stating that "such a behavior
> will never happen in the future as we discovered the bug and corrected
> it".

One avionics-class approach to rejecting bad data, is diversity in
data
sources combined with sanity checks by the end user.

NTP supports these well although some end users configure poorly.

I think it is unprofessional for a time consumer to rely on a single
Stratum-1, or on a group of Stratum-1's not using diverse refclock
implementations.

Many time consumers will be better served by a well configured
Stratum-2
or lower.

Tim.