[ntp:questions] SNTP "LOCL" RFC 5905/RFC 4330

Hans Peter nospam at nospam.invalid
Wed Jun 15 11:24:38 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I'm using an SNTP Server in a local subnet without any reference time
synchronisations. The SNTP Server is implemented by myself and on the
local subnet it is Stratum 1 and the Reference-ID in the SNTP-Package is
"LOCL" (Local uncalibrated clock).

The SNTP Server implementation belongs to RFC 4330 and for this reason
"LOCL" seems to be ok. RFC 5905 obsoletes RFC 4330 and I can find any
word about "LOCL" in RFC 5905.

Now I would like to make my SNTP Implementation conform to RFC 5905. Is
it allowed that I'm using "LOCL" as reference identifier?

Kind regards

Hans