[ntp:questions] ntp server specs

Wed Jun 15 18:44:40 UTC 2011

David J Taylor wrote:
> "C BlacK" <rblak at non.net> wrote in message
>> For our discussion, lets say there are many machine
>> but the distance is not going to me more that 100ft.
>
> Then some top-of-the head sums might be:
>
> 100 machines - RS-232 input resistance, guess, 4K,
>  all 100 in parallel 40 ohms.

A 5v PPS signal with more than 125ma drive?
 Not likely from a normal TTL chip.

100 PC RS232 serial ports tied together,
 fed from one PPS driver?

 I'd think you would have a lot of stray ground currents
  running around.

  Even if they were isolated RS422/485 receivers,
   100 in parallel, fed from one PPS driver,
   seems like it would be problem prone.

  will be added to the BlackLists.