[ntp:questions] ntp server specs

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Jun 16 17:39:05 UTC 2011

unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-06-15, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One hundred??
> >
> > Best to use a decentralized design.  Buy 100 rs442 to rs232 receiver
> > chips.  You can place then in a box on the back of each of the 100
> > computers.
> >
> > The specs say one 442 driver can connect to ten receivers.  So you'd
> > need a ten port distribution system to drive 10 buses.
> >
> > Please remind us why you can't use NTP.  It would be less work to buy
> > a 100 port Eithernet hub.  You can get very good timing with NTP on a
> > short run of 100BaseT

> But terrible on 1000BaseT.

I know it is a convenient shorthand to use the link-technology name,
but is it really that 1000BaseT as specified by the IEEE is terrible,
or the *implementation* specifics of various, perhaps many network
interface cards supporting 1000BaseT?  I'm thinking, specifically of
interrupt coalescing.

rick jones
                                                    - Rick Jones