[ntp:questions] ntp client ipv6 support

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Sat Jun 18 02:46:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 05:42:23PM +0000, Rick Jones wrote:
> Over the years, netperf has encountered a number of "funnies" in
> various implementations of getaddrinfo(), necessitating some kludges
> in netperf to work-around them.  It might be worthwhile to write a
> little test program that calls getaddrinfo() in a manner similar to
> ntp, and call getaddrinfo with several different flavors of IPv6
> address.

	This.

	There's at least a couple of bugs in glibc that result
in getaddrinfo() returning something it shouldn't.

	NTP itself should be fine; I've run it on dual stack machines
for several years now.  I've even run it on machines without IPv4
addresses, although they still had family IN compiled in.

	The ntp rev in question is old but it should work provided the
underlying host does.

	--msa