[ntp:questions] Cluster NTP configuration

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jun 20 22:47:38 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-20, Steve Tryon <x77ssiwdo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The reason I ask about large corrections is a scenario that I saw with
> a configuration that we originally tried.  In essence, each server in
> the cluster was configured the same:
>
> - clients of 0.us.pool.ntp.org and 1.us.pool.ntp.org
> - peers with all nodes in the cluster
> - using local clock as stratum 10 source

The "local clock" is not a not a time source. It is a hack which allows
ntpd to claim to be "synced" even when it is not.

When ntpd is "synced" to the "local clock" it is following the very
clock that it should be controlling.

I'm not surprised that you report problems with these nodes drifting
apart.

There really should be one node in your cluster using the Undisciplined
Local Clock. If you want a self organizing cluster of nodes use Orphan
Mode instead.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>