[ntp:questions] ntpd in a vmware server 2.x environment?

m m evil.darth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 19:17:18 UTC 2011

Is there a clean way to run ntpd as a server in a guest VM in a vmware
2.x environment?  The host and guest OS is Linux -- Debian 5.0.x.
I've set it up and had it running for a while.  ntpq sees a whole lot
of jiiter.  I've got nagios monitoring for the correct number of
"truechimers".  nagios irregularly reports the wrong number of
truechimers and sends notifications.  I tried setting divider=10 on
the kernel command-line; no joy.  I don't have the guest configured to
sync time with the host.  A nearby physical server running ntpd with
the same sources has no problems with jitter or truechimers.  Any
ideas?

I know running ntpd in a virtual environment was historically an
issue, but I was under the impression that these issues had been
resolved.  Is ntpd in a VM still a problem?

vmware's doc on the subject:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427