[ntp:questions] ipv6 multicast not working in ntp-4.2.6p3

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Jun 21 22:30:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-21, BlackLists wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> You may need to configure authentication.
>
> e.g. keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
> trustedkey 123

On _each_ node add the following to /etc/ntp.conf

--------------------------------8X--------------------------------

keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey N

--------------------------------8X--------------------------------

On _each_ node create /etc/ntp.keys and add the following line:

--------------------------------8X--------------------------------

N M the_passphrase_for_this_key

--------------------------------8X--------------------------------

Choose a positive integer for 'N' (between 1 and 65534). It does not
have to be "123" or any other specific value. But you must use the same
number in your keys file and on the trustedkey line.

Use the letter "M" for the second column.

The passphrase is just a character string. Generate it however you'd
like.

The key ID (N) and the passphrase must be the same on all nodes.

See http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p3/authopt.html for a discussion of
authentication options.

Symmetric Key authentication (which is what we've outlined above) is
discussed at http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p3/authopt.html#symm

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>