[ntp:questions] Selection and Clustering of candidates

Mon Jun 27 22:01:12 UTC 2011

Mischanko, Edward T wrote:
> As for my question on server selection, all these servers
>   are routers on a corporate network.
>  If 6 servers have the same offset and 3 do not which
>   ones would you choose?
>  I choose the 6 servers with the same offset.

Which would NTP choose?
You are likely taking less into consideration than NTP.

See:

How NTP Works
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/warp.html>
Clock Filter Algorithm
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/filter.html>
Clock Select Algorithm
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/select.html>
Clock Cluster Algorithm
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/cluster.html>

NTP Architecture, Protocol and Algorithms
<http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/database/brief/arch/arch.ppt>

Computer Network Time Synchronization
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/book.html>

  will be added to the BlackLists.