[ntp:questions] Can't Understand NTP behaviour,

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 21:07:08 UTC 2011

>> In our NTP client-server setup which is done locally, we've 3 servers each
>> made to synchronize with its own local clock only.

I think this has been beaten to death but new people keep asking about
it not knowing that the subject has been beaten to death.  Perhaps
ntpd needs to issue a warning message when it sees the keyword "local"
or maybe the warning should appear only on status displays.    Or
maybe change the spelling of "local" to either "bogus" or "freewheel".

The bottom line is that it only logically makes sense to have ONE at
most LOCAL reference clocks on an isolated island  network.  People
like to have two as a kind of backup but it's best to let orphan mode
select one and get even better backup that way.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California