[ntp:questions] Can't Understand NTP behaviour,

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 29 04:35:53 UTC 2011

> The Chinese GPS is not bad and the price is only about $35
> But for not much more money you can get a nearly state of the art unit
> that is made and supported by a US company.
> Synergy will selll you an M12M Timing GPS Receiver for about $60.
> Look at the specs on the PDF sheet.    This is gross overkill for NTP
> but some people use GPS for other purposes
> http://www.synergy-gps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=32&Itemid=116
>
> You can get older M12+T units from eBay for about $30 but the much
> better performance, US based tech suport, warenty and better
> documentation is maybe worth the price.
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

Chris,

Thanks for that information.  The $35 Chinese kit includes the antenna and
USB cable, and no extra power supply is required (get power over USB), but
you do need to solder two wires.

The $60 unit (I could find no prices on the site you gave) appears to be
made by a Singapore company, according to the e-mail address on the
specification:

  http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/m12mt_brochure.pdf

The M12M Timing GPS Receiver on its own may require a TTL to RS-232
converter, serial connectors, and 3V power source, and the M12M Timing
Starter Kit uses an extra power supply (wall wart?), but requires no
soldering.

Great that folks can choose which suits them best.  Either would be fine
for using with NTP.

Cheers,
David