[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

Ralph ralph at depth.net
Tue Mar 8 08:26:59 UTC 2011

> When are you going to start working on it?
>  ... or are you asking others to do free programming
>   for you, to work around your unique problem?

Maybe I deserve that flame for having ranted a bit, but
I hardly think the problem of clock time that won't behave
within a linux guest VM is 'unique'.  Do a google search on
it, I'm clearly not the only one with this problem.

And are you saying that the mentality of the open source
world ought to be one of 'no one is allowed to complain about
anything because they ought to code the fix themselves'?  I've
participated in many open source projects and I enjoy contirbuting
to the community, but I don't think that one ought to have to
be a contributor to be a user.  If open source isn't supposed to
have consumers that aren't contributors from a coding perspective,
then it is most certainly a doomed concept - and I sincerly hope that
is not the case.

> If you have never had a problem, what are you complaining about?

I've never had a problem with a Windows guest.  I'm complaining about
it being so difficult to find the answer to getting a properly running
clock with a linux guest.

> Nothing that can't be fixed by the VM ware vendors, I'm sure.

And if they gave a flying flip about the many different flavor of linux, I'm
sure the world would be a better place.  But in the meantime, since I'm not
running one of the very few flavors that they actually support, I have
to find other solutions.