[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 8 12:24:08 UTC 2011

"Rob" <nomail at example.com> wrote in message []
> VMware advises to run ntpd in the guest.

Thanks, Rob.  I wonder whether this is a change from their earlier
suggestions?  I see that they now do suggest this as one route (as well as
providing their own time synchronisation program as another option).  Are
the recommendations they make on page 18, in the paragraph: "Using NTP in
Linux and Other Guests"  sensible ones for today's NTP?

  http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Timekeeping-In-VirtualMachines.pdf

As I've noted before, using Windows as a host you might want to tie the
timekeeping rather more closely to a local reference with the appropriate
minpoll and maxpoll values, and find a good server on the LAN to use.

Cheers,
David