[ntp:questions] Is a Spectracom Netclock/2 worth saving?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:44:31 UTC 2011

Rick,

All the Spectracom WWVB and GPS receivers use the same serial protocol;
I have had one or more of these things running for almost 30 years. The
Netclock/2 is useless without its ferrite-stick loop antenna, and even
then the rising noise pollution due to the noisy electrical grid and
machine room UPS systems have rendered any WWVB receiver essentially
useless. An ironic fact is that my WWV receivers now outperform the wwvb
receivers and both are much inferior to a GPS receiver. Considering the
sometimes difficult problem of finding rooftop real estate for a GPS
antenna, a CDMA receiver, such as the EndRun CNTP, might be now the
easiest to deploy.

Dave