[ntp:questions] ntpd -q and driftfile

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu Mar 24 06:49:08 UTC 2011

Chris Albertson wrote:
> I'd bet any musician could do better than 0.1 sec.  If you are playing
> piano and the timing of a note is off by as much as .1 sec it sounds
> like an error.    MIDI is used to record musical performances and it
> uses a "tick" about every 10ms or 100 or 128 per second. That is about
> the range of human hearing, if you are good, delays smaller seem to us
> a simultaneous.   I'd say that people who pratice every day such as
> pianists could get to the 0.01 second range

You're probably right.

My cousin Nils who's a very talented musician/composer used to claim
that "anyone can learn to sing in tune", but timing was something you
had to be born with.

(He's got the kind of ear that can listen to a 15-min piece of music
once, then sit down and write out the score for all the instruments.)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>