[ntp:questions] Two servers, one client : one problem

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue May 3 20:59:54 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-03, BlackLists wrote:

> They are syncing just fine with their own Local clock?

[snip]

>   The PCs are syncing to themselves, and drifting away
>    in whatever direction their oscillators, power management,
>     virtual host time sharing & thermal variances take them.

The Undisciplined Local Clock driver merely allows ntpd to claim to be
synced to a time source. ntpd adjusts the kernel (i.e. "local") clock;
it _never_ actually syncs to it.

> Then again, what do I know, I'm no expert.

The solution is to configure all of the systems to poll a common
reference source.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>