[ntp:questions] Ntp not syncing after powerfail of server

M. Giertzsch mgiertzsch at mobotix.com
Thu May 19 16:08:31 UTC 2011

Am 19.05.2011 17:55, schrieb Chris Albertson:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:57 AM, M. Giertzsch<mgiertzsch at mobotix.com>  wrote:
>

>> Now if there is a powerfail, there is no guarantee that the server has
>> finished the boot
>> before the clients have. In this case the time will not be synced.
>>
> If the clients are running the standard ntpd they will continue poling
> "forever" and the server can go up and down.  The clients can sync to
> it when it is up and of course can't if it isn't.
>
> BTW it helps to have more than one NTP server.  How do you know you
> server is serving correct time without some kind of redundant check?

Hi Chris,
thank you for your reply.

This is of course true, I can't say that that one server serves the
correct time.
But in a closed environment I can't guarantee that even when using more
servers.
If real time is needed I'm in need of a GPS module or something like this.

But hmm, still it seems to me that the client does not sync when
finished booting
before the server does. What about that iburst mentioned in my recent
post and may it be that
I have to be more patient waiting for the next poll (but I waited half
an hour).

--

Best regards,
    M. Giertzsch