[ntp:questions] Kernel PPS with Debian

jimmyterrence jimmyterrence at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:51:47 UTC 2011

On Nov 3, 3:42 am, hal-use... at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> In article <95325d10-3ee0-482e-927f-53991e056... at v5g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  jimmyterrence <jimmyterre... at gmail.com> writes:
> >What do I need to do to get ntp to notice the PPS signal? What am I
> >missing?
>
> You need to do something like:
>   ldattach 18 /dev/gps0
>
> That will create /dev/pps0
>
> Beware: If you have CONFIG_PPS_CLIENT_KTIMER turned on, that
> will gobble up /dev/pps0 and the first ldattach will create /dev/pps1
>
> --
> These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate spam.

That could very well be the problem. I complied a PPS-enabled kernel
with all the PPS options built in, so I ran menuconfig again and
deselected the KTIMER option. It will take about a day and a half to
recompile (it's a Thinkpad circa 2000) and then I'll try it again. I
did have a pps0 showing up at boot without having to run ldattach.