[ntp:questions] Ntpd in uninterruptible sleep?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu Nov 10 04:32:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 04:21, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> As expected, it crashed again.  The interesting thing is that the constant
> output from -D2 stopped in its tracks.  Nothing in the output shows anything
> out of the ordinary.  It just halts completely.

That's progress, and tells me a lot.  We need to see where ntpd is
stuck, I think that means either attaching gdb to the hung ntpd, or
starting it again under gdb and breaking into gdb once it hangs.  I'm
relatively weak on gdb, but I believe if it's started under gdb, ^C
will break into a gdb> prompt.

Once in, use "bt" to get a stack trace that hopefully goes back to
ntpdmain (that is, is hopefully on the correct ntpd thread, and not
any secondary or gdb-created thread).

Cheers,
Dave Hart